Pages

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Bet You Thought I Forgot About Working on My List, Didn't You?

I'm sort of cheating (again) with listing another of my tasks being completed. One of my tasks was to frame and hang my MBA diploma in my place. The reason I had chosen to do this was because I've never framed any diploma I've ever had, and I was especially proud and excited when I had finished my MBA in 2007.

When I had graduated, I was working for the University of Phoenix, which was where I had been working on my MBA in the first place. As a surprise graduation present, my co-workers pooled their money together and bought me a really awesome frame for my diploma. The funny thing was that I had been shopping for a frame for a couple weeks prior to graduation, and when my manager found out he came up with a story in order to stop me from ruining my own present. I didn't think twice about his made up story about people passing out discount coupons for frames at graduation, and since I'm so gullable like that I even was looking around for such a display after the ceremony.

The following week we had a team meeting, and that was when I got my frame. The really funny thing was that the frame they had chosen was virtually identical to the frame I had in mind for myself. It was an awesome gift, and I couldn't wait to mount my frame on my wall.

However, instead of doing so, it sat in my parents' basement storage room. For months. And months. And months. I had wanted to mount it as soon as I had moved to Virginia, but it was nowhere to be found. I started panicking and worried it was lost somewhere during my move, but - go figure - one Saturday my mom was bored and decided she wouldn't rest until she found out. And she did find it buried in her storage room. I finally have it mounted on my wall and have it proudly displayed.

As a semi-related rant, going back to get my Master's Degree was always a plan I had since my final year of undergrad. I had originally planned on taking one year off and start the fall of 2004, but life got in the way as always (in other words, I was lazy) and didn't start until the fall of 2005. Even then, it was by complete accident that I ended up enrolling with UOP (that's another story in and of itself).

My point is that going back to finish my education was probably the smartest decision I've ever made. It's opened doors for me that never would have otherwise been available, and walking across the stage was easily the proudest moment of my life so far. I'm a firm believer in the power of education, and I highly encourage anyone who hasn't finished their college education to do so. Saying you'll do it in the spring or next fall may make you believe you'll follow through on your plans, but it's just another way of procrastinating. And when the next semester rolls around, you'll find a new excuse to prevent you from going back. I can honestly say that finishing my education has changed my life for the better, and I know it would do the same for anyone else who's ever contemplated it.

End rant. And strike off another from the list.

No comments:

Post a Comment