Pages

Tuesday, November 1, 2011

I Was Better Off Leaving My Car Being Registered in Virginia

I'd forgotten how much Maryland loooooooooves to tax the feces out of its residents.  I went to the DMV yesterday to transfer my car's registration from Virginia to Maryland (and yesterday was the last day of my current registration), and about the only compliment that I can pay was that my situation was handled very quickly.  I'm used to having to wait an hour or more in line for my matters to be resolved there, but I only had to wait about 10 minutes before my number was called. 

So far, so good.

The teller typed my info to register my car in Maryland, and I had all the necessary documents to register it.  She did her thing, and then told me my total: $730 and change. 

I nearly fainted. 

Somehow I managed to ask how in the world my total was that high, and she explained there's some kind of excise tax from Virginia for leaving the state, as well as taxes to pay for my car to register it in Maryland.  Nothing like paying sales tax twice for the same car.  I handed over my Visa card to pay for everything, and then she hit me with another zinger: My registration is only good for 30 days, so I have to get my car's emissions tested and come back to fork over another $180 to pay for my full registration in my car.

Remind me again why I switched my registration over? 

1 comment:

  1. An author must have a vast knowledge of vocabulary. The dictionary of a writer must be full of new english vocabulary to make their work more attractive. Use of new words makes their work more valuable and graceful. กรอบทะเบียนกันน้ํา

    ReplyDelete