Pages

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

The Law of Averages

It's official - my sister is having a baby girl!

I got a text message from her this morning with the news, and frankly I wasn't that surprised. We were kinda expecting her to have a girl for several (completely unscientific) reasons, but we're all still extremely excited. For one thing, her husband's side has all boys. He has an older brother who has a family of his own (okay, the oldest kid is a girl, but he's her stepfather anyways) with boys. He also has one cousin who's also a guy. No sisters, no female cousins, no aunts, nothing. Virtually all boys.

Naturally, somewhere along the line the law of averages had to even things out, and a girl would come around. To add to that, my sister had a boy's name already picked out, but was completely lost on a girl's name. Now she doesn't have much choice, but I'm sure she'll have fun picking out a name.

Of course, having a niece doesn't change my plans as uncle at all. I still fully intend on spoiling my niece rotten and giving her everything that my sister says she can't or shouldn't have. I will take her to Orioles games and feed her all the cotton candy and ice cream she desires. I will buy her the loudest birthday and Christmas presents imaginable, and my sister will hate me for it. Oh sure, she'll get me back in a few years when I have kids of my own, but like I said before I will enjoy this as much as humanly possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment