Pages

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Your Federal Tax Dollars At Work

I am now three days into my new job, and I have to do a short recap of how my week has gone so far. This won't be a terribly long post (at least relative to some of my other posts), but I had to talk about my new gig a little.

I wrapped up orientation today and got to meet several of my new coworkers on my team. One of the first questions a woman on my team had asked me was whether I followed football, so naturally my response was, "Religiously." We're going to get along really well.

But that's not the fun news. My first day there I found out my department's summer picnic is Thursday, so tomorrow I get to come to work in a t-shirt, shorts, and flip flops. I only have to be in the office for a couple hours before we head to the cookout. Since I don't have any network access yet, I can't exactly do anything while in the office anyway, so I get paid to sit around and play on my phone before heading to the picnic.

The real kicker is that my department has been packing up their work and preparing to move to another building down the street. Almost everything is sitting in boxes in between cubicles, and the movers are taking everything Friday, so our department will have off Friday, including me. Bottom line, I'm getting paid for a full week when I'll barely be at work for three and a half days. If that's not a sweet deal, I don't know what is.

Can every week at my new job be like this one? That would rock.

No comments:

Post a Comment