Pages

Friday, November 4, 2011

Unplugged

One of my tasks on my list was to be unplugged for an entire weekend.  When I had come up with the idea, it sounded refreshing.  I could turn off the world for a couple days and relax.  I'd go off somewhere for a getaway, leave my phone at home, and not concern myself with news updates, phone calls, or - GASP! - sports scores.

Then came last night.

I was in my room, minding my own business, completely content.  My cell phone was charging on my nightstand next to my bed.  I looked over and noticed the screen was completely black, so I pressed the unlock button to mess around with the Facebook application. 

And nothing happened.

I pressed it a couple more times, figuring it was being stubborn.  Still nothing.  I couldn't even turn it off.  I unplugged the phone from the charge cord and plugged it back in.  I was getting annoyed.  Finally I opened up the back piece of the phone to remove the battery.  I placed it back in and turned the phone on.  The screen lit up for a moment, but it was still black. 

My phone had become a paperweight.

The best part was that because it was still turned on, it would beep when someone would text or call me.  I just couldn't read any texts or answer any calls.  My phone sat there, laughing at me every time the text beep sounded off.

I went to Verizon during lunch today, hoping they'd be able to fix the problem.  The best option was to replace the phone, so I'm getting a new phone Monday.  I'll be unplugged all weekend, unable to send or receive any texts or phone calls.  I updated my Facebook status to let my close friends and family know I'll be incognito for a couple days, but there are always some people who don't get those messages.

This was not my idea when I thought about unplugging myself for a weekend.

I have to say I've spent quite a bit of time thinking about how dependent I am on staying plugged in.  I'm so used to being able to check Facebook, run my fantasy teams, IM, text, and - oh yeah - call people at will.  I feel lost right now, not being able to call any friends up just to set up plans for the weekend or anything.  If I'm running late, how will I be able to let anyone know? 

Before you say, "This is only for three days, you knucklehead.  Build yourself a bridge and get over it," I am fully aware this is a really short period of time.  I'm sure others have been able to survive much longer periods without such advantages.  Hell, society as a whole did okay without cell phones until about 15 years ago (which kinda makes me wonder just how on earth we got by before cell phones became commonplace). 

Still, I dare anyone who reads this to actually consider just how much you use your phone.  I'm sure there are at least a few readers who are nodding while reading this, thinking, "Oh yeah - I would be royally pooch screwed if I didn't have my phone for an entire weekend!"  If you can honestly say you would be just dandy without your phone for a couple days, I commend you. 

I guess this could count as being unplugged for a weekend, but it sure isn't how I planned on doing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment