Pages

Saturday, January 14, 2012

Time to Start Working on My Marlon Brando Impersonation

In the latest development in unclehood for me, my sister recently came to me with news of my niece's christening.  My brother-in-law was raised Catholic, and wanted my niece to be christened in the Catholic church.  I thought it's a good idea, and I'm glad they're going ahead to doing it.

I was originally raised Catholic, and my family left the Catholic church when I was 12 to convert to Baptist.  I won't go into great detail over the differences between the two denominations, but I will say I didn't set foot in a Catholic church from the time we left until my cousin's wedding in 2005.  It was a weird feeling for me being back in a place that I hadn't seen in a long time, but there was also a sense of familiarity.

Anyways, since my niece will be christened in the Catholic church, they need godparents.  What I didn't realize was that the Catholic church requires the godparents to have been confirmed Catholic at some point in the past, which shrank the pool of candidates down significantly for my sister and brother-in-law.  Fortunately, I was confirmed Catholic shortly before we left the church, so now I will be my niece's godfather.

Cue The Godfather theme.

This is another honor that I never had expected coming at all.  I'm wondering what kind of leeway I'll have during the reception in order to have fun with the title of godfather.  I'm debating speaking only in quotes and accent that Marlon Brando had used in The Godfather for the entire day, but my accent needs a lot of work.  I guess this would be the perfect opportunity to watch the entire trilogy, since that was one of my tasks on my list too.

Funny how things work out like that, isn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment