Pages

Tuesday, January 3, 2012

You Know What Happens When You Make Assumptions...

First of all, I hope everyone had a safe and happy holiday season. 

Now, I have to share an odd and funny story from over the weekend.  I really don't know what to make of it at all, but it's definitely a good laugh.

I took my mom to see the musical Jersey Boys Friday night in DC as her Christmas present.  She's a big theater fan, and I knew she'd enjoy it.  When she opened her gift card Christmas morning with the proof of purchase of the tickets for the show, she went berzerk like a 6 year old kid who got the big toy he or she wanted all along.  Her reaction alone was worth buying the tickets.

We met up Friday night for dinner before the show, and the show itself was fantastic.  I really didn't know what to expect from it, but it was excellent.  I actually knew a few songs performed, much to my surprise, which made the show all the more enjoyable.

Here's the point of the story: After the show had ended, my mom and I walked back to our car.  She's much more of a DC expert than I am, so I followed her lead.  We got to a crosswalk about a block away from our garage, talking about where our car was the entire time.  A guy probably in his late 40s overhead us chatting and made a joke by saying, "Well hey, whatever the wife says it's what goes."

You read that right.  He actually thought my mom was my wife. 

I had to break the reality to him and said she was my mom, and he said, "Wow, that's one young-looking mom you've got!" 

I honestly didn't know how to react to his comment.  Really, what do you say to that?    "Hey, she is actually kinda single now"?  How awkward would that conversation be?

I actually felt badly for the guy briefly because he had to feel awkward and embarassed for making such an assumption.  That kind of comment is right up there with making a joke about a pregnant woman directly to her, only to find out she isn't pregnant to begin with.  There is absolutely no recovery for that. 

Here's to 2012.  Hopefully it'll provide as many awkwardly funny moments as 2011 had ended with.

No comments:

Post a Comment