Pages

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

I Won't Be Heartbroken If You Read Single Dad Laughing More Than My Blog

Every now and then - and by that, I mean "almost every day" - I come across something online that's written far more cleverly, eloquently, and intelligently than I could ever fathom writing.  Typically it's something on Twitter, which despite my fairly recent understanding of how to use it properly, I still read plenty more tweets that are funnier and more insightful than anything I've ever posted on there.  Last night, I was introduced to a blog site called Single Dad Laughing.

You need to look up this blog.  Like, now.  I won't be offended if you close out reading this post to find that site.

From what I gather after having read several of his posts, it's a guy about my age (early 30s) writing about anything under the sun: his son, life, insights, etc.  He writes much more frequently than I do, and implied a few times that it's his full time job.  It's clearly paid off because he thousands of followers on his blog who comment on his posts all the time (I'll talk more about that later).  He's become something of an online celebrity, where his readers know so much about him and his life despite being spread out all over the country.

One of the great things about his blog is that it's ridiculously funny.  I've tried being self-depricating and sarcastic occasionally here, but this guy is way funnier than me.  One of his posts I read last night was about a date he went on with a woman to get sushi.  By the end of the night, she had accidently cut open his cheek, leading to him falling to the ground and her standing over him and laughing hysterically. 

However, the best part of his blog are the comments from his readers.  Another post I read was about confessing fears and secrets he's dealt with most of his life.  He then asked his readers to talk about stuff they've kept hidden for all their lives, and some of their stories were truly moving.  There were thousands of comments on that single post, far more than I could possibly read, but they were both fascinating and heartbreaking.  When one person wrote about something truly upsetting like dreaming of suicide or depression, another complete stranger would reply and offer words of encouragement. 

Think about that for a moment.  Two (or more) people, who live probably hundreds or thousands of miles apart, each confess their darkest secrets to each other, and they all tell one another things will be okay.  These people would never have come into contact with one another had they not been reading Single Dad Laughing, and now they have common ground already built in.  Plus, many of us feel a bit more comfortable telling strangers what we hold inside versus telling close friends or family members, including myself. 

In short, you'll definitely be doing yourself a favor by taking some time to read Single Dad Laughing.  You'll feel a whole lot better after you have.

No comments:

Post a Comment