Pages

Wednesday, January 2, 2013

10 Movies I'm Looking Forward to in 2013

I made a list like this one last year around this time, so I figured I'd put another one together for 2013's movie crop.  It's a fun list to compile, and I hope next year's bunch of movies are just as enjoyable as my top ten list for 2012 was.

Trailers are included where available.

10. 42 - I don't know much about Jackie Robinson's early years in baseball beyond what Joe Schmoe off the street knows.  I know he faced plenty of racism and opposition for most of his career, but his story remains inspirational to this day.  I'm a sucker for a feel-good sports movie (e.g. Field of Dreams, Rudy, and We Are Marshall), and this one looks just as good.


9. The World's End - I honestly don't know much about this movie, except that it stars Simon Pegg and Nick Frost, and that it's directed by Edgar Wright.  Those three guys were behind Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz, two great comedies both spoofing and paying homage to their respective genres.  I have every reason to expect this latest comedy somehow involving the apocalypse will be just as awesome as their previous efforts.

8. Jack Ryan - I know, we've kinda been through the reboot process with the Jack Ryan films already with The Sum of All Fears.  Ben Affleck was completely wrong to play a young Jack Ryan anyway, so I hope Chris Pine does a better job in the role this time.  I'm also disappointed with the film's title - is it too much to ask for something more clever than simply the lead character's name?  I'm sure by the time the movie comes out next Christmas we'll all know the name and what it stands for, but what was wrong with the original title of By Any Means Necessary?  I know I'm nitpicking here, but Kenneth Branagh is directing (!!!!) and co-starring as a Russian bad guy.  I'm sold.

7. Pacific Rim - I admit, I wasn't all that crazy about this project when I read about it.  The idea of giant robots and monsters fighting and wreaking havoc on Earth is always fun, but I couldn't get excited about it till I saw the teaser trailer.  Then I realized the error of my ways.


6. The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug - Confession time: I have yet to see The Hobbit in theaters.  It was on my list for 2012, so I'm very disappointed that I haven't yet had the chance to see it in its 48FPS in 3D (I'm sure those last few words just sailed over most of my readers' heads).  I'm still going to see it, and so the continuing story will certainly have to be on my list for next year as well.

5. Oblivion - I absolutely loved Tron Legacy from two years ago, and this film is the next project from its director Joseph Kosinski.  He also wrote and illustrated the graphic novel upon which this film is based, so it'll be a faithful adaptation.  And who doesn't love a good post apocalyptic sci-fi tale?


4. Thor: The Dark World - I absolutely loved Thor last year, and the director of this film is an alumnus of Game of Thrones, so he's experienced in fantasy worlds.  I hope the next round of Avengers one shot films are more stand-alone stories instead of just setting up The Avengers 2, which leads me to...

3. Iron Man 3 - For the first time, an Iron Man movie looks like it's got a serious tone to it, and Tony Stark looks like he is in a very dark place.  I was completely disappointed with Iron Man 2 and its lack of focus, so I hope this time around they tell a singular story instead of introducing new characters and underusing them,


2. Star Trek Into Darkness  - Umm....wow.




1. Man of Steel I've talked before about my love for Superman and how excited I was for this new take on the character and his legacy.  The first teaser was fairly abstract in nature, but this new trailer shows a lot more of the film without talking much about the overarching story.  It looks like the tone is just about perfect, and I'm curious to see if this is the starting point for WB/DC Comics to build towards the Justice League movie in a couple years.




No comments:

Post a Comment