Pages

Thursday, October 10, 2013

That's One Way to Kill Time During a Furlough

Since I've had an awful lot of time on my hands over the last 10 days or so, I've taken to finding new ways to entertain myself.  I used a lot of last week to catch up on the series Homeland since I had heard a lot of good things about it, and I have to say after watching every episode on demand, it's more than lived up to the hype.  I definitely plan on watching the new episodes since the third season just started two weeks ago.

On top of Homeland, I usually like giving the new fall season a chance or two to check out some promising new series.  I'm a TV junkie, but my tastes in television differ I think somewhat than the general public.  I don't watch much in terms of comedy on television except for It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia and The League, considering most broadcast network comedies just aren't clever enough to make me laugh (though I did watch the first episode of Brooklyn Nine-Nine, and that was pretty funny).  I especially hate series like Two and a Half Men and 2 Broke Girls since they pretty much embody everything I hate about forced set up and punchline moments in sitcoms today.

I've been much more of a drama fan, though once again the mainstream shows like CSI, NCIS, or Bones have never appealed to me at all.  They're all the same show week after week, and I much prefer serialized shows where story lines continue to build week after week, 24 and Lost being a couple good examples of that style.  The one drama that has really interested me this season is The Blacklist, which after three episodes has been a pretty effective and fun show that is a combo of both stand-alone stories of the week, mixed with long-term arcs and questions for the show to eventually cover.

My point is that for every series that does get an order from a network, there are plenty others that are written, shot, and produced that aren't ordered.  Every May the networks have a selection from a couple dozen possible pilots, and they choose from those batches which ones eventually make it to air.  There are always a few that aren't picked up that make good "what if" cases, leaving the entertainment industry to wonder how the series might have turned out, had they made it to air.

Just to make my point more clear, here are a few examples of both good and bad pilot ideas that weren't picked up for this fall:

  • Delirium - Based on a series of young adult novels, the series takes place in a time where love is deemed illegal, and the emotion is eradicated from existence from each person alive.  One teenage girl is only months away from undergoing the procedure, except she falls in love.  My take: Totally stupid idea.  Why would even one sect of society decide that love should be deemed illegal?  How could that same sect somehow get the entire planet to agree that love should be eliminated?  Plus, the plot only exists to serve itself.  
  • Backstrom - Drama about a cop who lives a very self-destructive lifestyle, but he has to balance that with his job.  Starred Rainn Wilson (!!!!) as the title character.  My take: Would have been interesting to see an actor known for comedy breaking into a dramatic role radically different from what he was known for previously.  Could have gotten exhausting watching him endlessly live a self-destructive life though, kinda like how tiring it was watching Denis Leary on Rescue Me after a few years.
  • The Sixth Gun - Based on a graphic novel taking place around the Civil War about six mythical guns, each equipped with magical powers.  Developed by Carlton Cuse (Lost).  My take: By far, the one pilot that wasn't picked up that I wish had been.  This sounds like my kind of show - a little weird, but definitely unique for prime time TV.  And it doesn't involve cops, lawyers, or doctors!  I'm sure it was a hard sell though, which was probably why the network felt it wouldn't bring in ratings.
  • NCIS LA: Red - Another NCIS spin off that was written as an episode of NCIS LA last season.  A mobile team of agents roam the country chasing bad guys.  My take: Yawwwwwwwwwn.  Exactly the kind of show that bores me to death.
Based on that small sample, I felt like looking into pilots that weren't picked up for series in the past.  What surprised me is that there's a wealth of information online about pilots that networks didn't buy, including full episodes produced in many cases on YouTube.  I have to say, there are some pretty interesting shows that weren't picked up, along with plenty of shows that were just so bug nuts crazy I'm surprised anyone thought they would be a good idea.

To wit:

Thoughtcrimes - A girl goes to her high school prom, only to find out she is telekinetic.  She thinks she's crazy, so she checks herself into a mental hospital, when a government agent finds out about her condition and trains her on how to use it to her advantage.  She eventually is recruited to work as an undercover agent for ops around the world.  Pretty interesting idea, especially on how she is trained.


Still Life - Drama about a family coping with the loss of their oldest son who tragically passed away.  The show is narrated by the dead character, giving it a bit of a twist.  Not picked up because let's face it - that would have gotten to be really depressing really quickly.


1775 - A family of five runs an inn during pre-Revolutionary times.  The pilot episode was about the dad - who happened to be George Washington's brother-in-law - wanting to marry off his oldest daughter.  Yes, this was a sitcom.  No, hilarity did not ensue.  But if you have that kind of fascination where you need to check out a car accident on the highway, this is worth a watch.

Earth Angels - Supernatural drama about angels and demons fighting one another while in human form.  Co-created and written by Anne Rice.  Think a supernatural CSI.


Poochinski - A vice cop is accidentally run down one night, only to be reincarnated as his pet bulldog.  Yup, it is just as silly as it sounds.  



Steel Justice - I saved the best for last.  A homicide detective in the early 21st century is dealing with the aftermath of his son's death and his wife leaving him.  His dead son comes back to life....in the form of a robotic dinosaur toy.  No, I swear I am not making this up.  That plot description alone is plenty bug nuts crazy, but what's even more bizarre is that the episode was shot as a very dark and serious drama.  The plot description sounds kitschy, but the tone is anything but kitsch.


I'm not sure if I should expect to be thanked or cursed for posting such time-wasters.

No comments:

Post a Comment