Pages

Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Ix-nay Egas-vay

My neurotic side really came out in my last post.  Like, way more than even I was aware of until I recently went back and re-read it.  A lot has changed since then, which is the point of this post.

Over the last couple months, my therapist and I had agreed that I had accomplished many of the goals I had set for myself when we first started meeting nearly a year ago.  We had been meeting twice a month for a while, and then scaled back to only once a month.  During our most recent session, we had concluded that it was time for me to "graduate," since things were largely going in a good direction for me.  She's still only a phone call away though, so she's available if/when I need her.

One of the big things that we had discussed during our last session was my upcoming trip to Vegas.  I've calmed down a lot since May, and I was back to the point of being really excited about going.  One of my best friends had moved out to San Diego back in April, so my buddy who was also part of the bachelor party and I had made plans for our friend to stay with us in Vegas since we'd be relatively close by.

That was, until the bachelor found out about our plans.

The bachelor contacted my buddy and me separately to ask what was going on when he found out about our friend meeting us in Vegas (the bachelor and our friend don't know each other at all).  I asked if having our friend staying with us would be an issue, and the bachelor thought it was a little weird.  He said he had invited the two of us to party with him all weekend long, but he didn't want some random extra guy tagging along.  I said we were going to see our buddy during down time, but we were both going to do some of the group events that had been discussed over email.  I didn't think there was much of a problem here.

Boy, was I ever wrong.

The bachelor de-vited us both from the weekend getaway and refunded our money for the hotel.  At first, I got his point: he had a specific group of guys he wanted to be with for that weekend, and he didn't want some other random people just joining in who he didn't know.  My buddy saw things differently; he thought the bachelor was being selfish and unreasonable.  My buddy didn't see any real problem with having one extra guy stay in our hotel room for the weekend so that we could hang out with him for part of the time we'd be in Vegas.  The way I saw things, it was the bachelor's weekend, so he could call the shots on who was part of the group and who wouldn't be.

I stirred over this for a day or so.  My buddy has never had an issue with discussing how angry he can get over an argument, and this incident was no exception.  He couldn't wrap his head over why I disagreed with him, especially after he had talked it over with some other friends of ours, all of whom thought the bachelor was being unreasonable.

Eventually I talked it over with my awesome roommate to get her insight into it.  It was at this point that I started coming around to my buddy's side of the table.  My roommate had one simple thought on the subject, and it was this: IT'S VEGAS.  These guys were bound to party up the weekend with all kinds of random people while they're out there.  They're more than likely to run into other bachelor parties as well, and probably other random people while they're out and about.  It's a complete contradiction in terms to suggest the bachelor doesn't want random people joining their group when they're going to a place like Vegas.

Once I had put some thought into it, I realized my buddy was right all along.  The bachelor was being unreasonable, and he may not even realize how stupid his thinking was until well after he returns from Vegas.  Still, I can't get too upset over it for some other reasons which I won't get into here.

Fortunately, I didn't lose out on my airfare for travel.  I cancelled the flight reservation with Southwest, but the good news is that the money I had already spent on the flight can be used for another trip between now and May next year.  I'm thinking now it may be worth it to travel out to San Diego directly since I've never been there before, which would probably be more fun than a weekend in Vegas anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment