Pages

Wednesday, January 13, 2010

My Kingdom for a Chicken McNugget

I am now 14 days into going without fast food. I started this task retroactive to January 1 since it's on my list of tasks to accomplish. The first week or so was okay, but I knew the tougher times were still ahead of me. Boy, was I ever right.

I laid out a plan to gradually phase out less healthy foods for myself. First, it's no fast food. I had to lay out ground rules as to what constitutes "fast food" in order to determine what's allowed and what is off limits. I decided anything that has a drive-thru window would be deemed fast food. No more Burger King, McDonald's, Taco Hell, Wendy's, etc. Subway would get a pass though, since they don't serve anything like burgers or french fries.

Once the 30 days were up, I had thought about expanding it beyond just fast food. I had hoped to dump things like chips, donuts, and the like. Oh sure, I might splurge and get the occasional McDonald's meal or chocolate bar - who doesn't do that? And of course, hitting the gym more regularly would be doubly good. It's a decent enough idea that it just might work.

Now I'm getting what I like to call the "shakes." It's that itching feeling of wanting a Chicken McNugget. Or a Whopper. Or a taco from Taco Hell. A few co-workers had raided Wendy's for lunch today, but I resisted the urge to cave. A small victory, but those burgers sure looked tasty.

I don't want to cave. I've been phasing it out slowly - only once or twice a week would I allow myself to have anything that unhealthy for me. But with a rough couple days at the office this week, I really was jonesin' for something quick, tasty, and filling. Fortunately the stressful time of the month has ended at work, so I think the main thing holding me back is simply motivating myself enough to cook dinner at night more than anything else.

To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment