Pages

Monday, April 12, 2010

Take That, Betty Crocker

I'm sort of cheating with completing another task on my list, but I let anyone reading this blog (all three or four people out there) decide its relevance.

I baked banana bread tonight. It's not exactly cake, but it's darn close enough in my book. And this wasn't some Betty Crocker instant recipe or anything. This was for real, homemade banana bread.

It wasn't perfect, but it still turned out pretty darn well. And no, it wasn't burned and/or crusty at all. At least, not to the point where it was ruined. I made sure to check it at about the 50-minute mark in the oven (the recipe I found said have it bake for an hour), and left it for a few more minutes. I also thought I'd add my own extra flavor by adding a layer of cinnamon over top. Put some french vanilla ice cream on the side, and BAM! Instant tasty dessert.

One thing I am aware of here is how dangerously close I am to turning in my man card on this one. I've known many women in the past (my mother being one of them) who just get in the mood to bake a cake on a random night. Their logic is typically how relaxing cooking and baking can be, and I have to say, it kinda helped me tonight. I had a pretty rough day today for a variety of reasons, and baking the banana bread, in addition to making dinner simultaneously, helped me get my mind off things for a little while.

Man card be damned. In the words of my officemate Sarah, I'm going to make someone an awesome wife someday.

No comments:

Post a Comment