Pages

Sunday, June 27, 2010

Full Circle

During my senior year in high school, I took a psychology/sociology class as an elective. It was a really great class, and the final big project in the sociology component was a mock wedding. The class voted on who would be bride and groom, people in the wedding party, and the minister. The wedding was held in the school auditorium, and anyone could pop in to watch the ceremony.

There was quite a bit of debate over who would be the bride and groom, but one of my friends (who, incidentally, sat right in front of me in the class) spoke up and recommended me to be the minister. She turned around and smiled at me, and the class almost unanimously agreed for me to have that role in the wedding.

Little did I know at the time, but that experience would actually prepare me for later in life.

As I mentioned in a previous post, my sister got engaged to her boyfriend of almost 7 years. Yesterday was their engagement party, and we were discussing my role in their wedding. They planned on having three members in the wedding party on each side (including the maid of honor and best man), and Rob already had decided who would be on his side of the party. I had hoped I'd be a groomsman, but there wasn't room for me.

They came up with another idea for me: they asked me to be the master of ceremonies at their wedding. Oh yeah, and be the minister as well.

I never would have expected in a million years that I'd ever be asked to legally marry anyone, much less my sister. It's an honor that words couldn't possibly do justice to express, and I'm excited at the opportunity. I hope as we get closer to their wedding date that we'll be able to plan out the flow of the wedding, but I still plan on including one or two of my own surprises for the actual ceremony.

I guess I might as well add another task to my list: Become an ordained minister.

No comments:

Post a Comment