Pages

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

No Rest For The Weary

It's been a hell of a month.

Life has been put through the ringer the last few weeks. Two deaths in the family have really affected our everyday lives, despite both being fairly expected. First was my dad's mom's longtime friend/roommate/companion Roy. Frankly, I'm not even sure what to refer to him as since they never married or anything, but he had been renting a room from her for as far back as I can remember. They kept each other company the entire time they had lived together, and he helped with maintenance around the house for as long as his health held up.

Over the last three or four years though, Roy's health started declining. He was diagnosed with a cyst near his stomach and could have had surgery to remove it, but there was a chance that he wouldn't have gotten through the surgery. Roy elected not to have surgery, knowing the cyst would eventually burst and he'd develop an infection.

As time passed, I'd see Roy every few months when going up to visit my grandmother with my family. He looked like he had lost more weight and strength every time I saw him, and I could tell he didn't have much time left. My family discussed having my grandmother move in with my parents eventually, but we knew that she wouldn't do it until after Roy had passed (which sounds kinda morbid). Word came through in the last couple months that Roy's health took a sharp down turn, and he eventually passed in late June.

The following week, my mom's mom was also hospitalized with serious health issues. Her health had steadily declined over the last couple years as well after she had been diagnosed with (and had surgery for) cancer. She had numerous health issues on top of having cancer as well, and ultimately she had passed only a matter of days after Roy had passed.

When I found out about each passing, I can't say I was all that surprised given the circumstances. However, I was dealing with some tough stuff at work at the same time, and that only compounded on top of everything else going on. The light at the end of the tunnel for me was joining my best friend in Myrtle Beach with him and his family for some much-deserved time off in the sun.

What happened in the end? I was backlogged at work from trying to catch up on everything I had missed from being out for a couple days, and I wasn't able to take a vacation either. I had hoped to at least take a day off for myself to go to Ocean City this weekend, but that won't happen either. The best part is that July's billing period starts Monday, so I get to go through this all over again.

No comments:

Post a Comment