Pages

Sunday, August 21, 2011

Just Like Old Times

The last two months were mostly spent prepping for my move back to Baltimore. I only allowed myself so much free time, especially over the last couple weeks in order to pack and throw out anything I didn't want to keep. My big move back to Baltimore was scheduled for Saturday, and when I checked the weather reports my heart sank when I saw scattered thunderstorms were expected from Thursday through the rest of the weekend.

Great. Just great.

As if all that wasn't enough, my birthday was Thursday. I'm not going to sit here and make things sound like I can never enjoy my birthday, but this whole scenario mirrored my move from Baltimore to Virginia in the first place. Fortunately, two things made a major difference this time around. First, I had real solid help from my sister and brother-in-law to help me load the U-Haul in Virginia and unload it at my place in Baltimore. Second, my cell phone was blowing up all day on my birthday with happy birthday text messages. I gotta say, I'm flattered and humbled from getting something as simple as a happy birthday text from a friend or family member.

So I'm driving home Thursday from work to Virginia, and I hit an absolute wall of water, complete with hail stones. Hail stones! In August! Since when does this happen during the summer?

Friday was more of the same. By this point I was dreading driving the truck back and forth from Virginia and hauling all my clothing and furniture around. I was praying that somehow the weather holds up for the big move Saturday.

My prayers were answered. Saturday the skies cleared up, and even though it was a fairly hot day, the move went smoothly overall. I got all the furniture and belongings that I had planned on, and my bedroom was assembled by the end of the day. There were some loose ends leftover in my old place, but I had planned on that all along and will clear that up later this week.

Overall, it's great being back in Baltimore. I'm living with my best friend in the city again, and I'm a whole lot closer to the rest of my friends and family in the area. Oh, there's plenty of drama going on among my family, far too much for me to write about here, but the good outweighs the bad. Life can now get back to normal.

No comments:

Post a Comment