Pages

Monday, September 12, 2011

What Makes a Hero

I spent quite a bit of time last week thinking about what I was going to write about the 10th anniversary of 9/11.  When Bin Laden was killed, I wrote pretty extensively what I had gone through that day and most of my emotions, both now and then.  I honestly didn't think I'd be able to write anything here that hadn't already been said countless times before, and yet I felt it would be disrespectful of me to not at least say something about it. 

And then I came across this link: http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/dodgers/2011/09/on-the-air-vin-scully-reflects-back-10-years-after-911.html

I'm not sure how much time Vin Scully gave towards writing those thoughts, but I'm constantly amazed about his ability to find the right words to say time and again.  I've admired him for that reason for a long time, and his insights are far deeper and resonate better than mine could ever hope to.  I especially appreciated his mentioning of Pearl Harbor, since that's a tragedy that somehow has been pushed under the rug.  The line "Never Forget" has been a bit of a catchphrase since 9/11, one which has made me wonder if a similar line was used after the Pearl Harbor attack.  Granted, the world has vastly changed in the last 70 years, but I would think people alive then would have kept reminding others to never forget the Japanese attacking Hawaii either.

I don't want to sulk into too much of a depressing post here, so I will end with this thought: The dictionary definition of a hero is one who has "distinguished courage or ability, admired for...brave deeds and noble qualities."  I agree with all that, but I believe there's more to it.  I believe a hero is someone who uses his or her God-given natural abilities without thinking twice of using them, and the rest of us can only sit back and wonder how they are able to do the things they do.  I'll never know how Vin Scully has such an amazing way with words, or how Josh Groban can sing the way he does, or how Albert Pujols can launch a 96-mph fastball into the sky with a single swing of a bat, but they all can.  They all clearly work hard at what they do, but they use their natural talents in the process.  All I can do is sit back and be amazed. 

The same goes for all police officers and firefighters.  I'll never know what it's like to rush into a burning building that's crumbling to the ground, and all I can think of is rescuing as many people as I possibly can before it falls apart.  Frankly, if I were ever put in a situation like that, I'm fairly certain I'd freeze.  Yet on 9/11, more than 700 New York City police officers and firefighters died while rescuing as many trapped civilians from the World Trade Center, even as the towers were collapsing upon themselves.  And they never thought twice about it.  That, to me, is what being a hero is all about.

No comments:

Post a Comment