Pages

Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Only Took Me a Little Over Two Years

I had first signed up for Twitter a little over two years ago.  I really didn't understand it at the time, and I didn't know what to expect of it, either.  Some close friends who lived and died by it said it was similar to Facebook, in that it was all status updates without the possibility of comments.  When I finally checked it out, my first thought was, "This is it?"

Obviously, I was anything but impressed.

I would occasionally log in and see what was happening with Twitter, and I followed some friends on there, as well as news-related updates.  By "occasionally" I mean every couple months, if that.  I was far more interested in Facebook than Twitter with Facebook's interactivity.  I just didn't see the value or advantage of posting what amounted to only headlines.

Then about a week and a half ago I was out with some friends watching football.  I struck up a conversation with one of the bartenders about Twitter and told her how completely uninterested in it I was.  She immediately asked me if I followed any comedians on there (I didn't), and she said that was my problem.  She grabbed a napkin and wrote down several comedians she follows on Facebook, a couple of whom were friends of hers.  She gave me her own Twitter feed for me to follow too, and once I did, I finally understood what all the fuss was about.  I started with her own Twitter and nearly fell off my bar stool from laughing.  Oh, her posts were quite racy stuff, and likely would offend some sensitive folks out there.  But I loved everything.  Her friends' Twitter feeds were also awesome, and as a result I finally got a grasp on what Twitter is supposed to be used for.

Now I'd never claim to be as particularly clever or funny as the bartender or her friends, but I have added several more feeds for sports-related headlines, as well as other random news updates on Twitter as well.  I usually check it at least twice a day, and update my own feed as well. 

Better late than never.

No comments:

Post a Comment